Thursday, February 11, 2010

What inspires you?

It was 2007, recently seperated, broke, welcoming my new life as a single parent in this cold concrete jungle; I often found peace, commraderie and joyous drunken fellowship with Claudia and Lisa my two best friends. Anyhow, when the last of these two friends moved back to Florida, I was stuck. What the hell do I do with all this time now? Two things encouraged me to start making jewelry. At this time I was working on the Upper West side around the block from a small jewelry boutique called Sade Design. Inside the store were lovely swarovski lariats and outrageous chandellier earrings. Anybody who knows me will know the first thing I ever think about when I see something I love is "how can I make that?". Also, one day I passed by a woman selling wire wrapped jewelry on the corner of Columbus and 67th. I loved her work and bought an aquamarine wire wrapped ring from her. She told me once she started wire wrapping that she knew it was her calling, (I thought she was full of it at the time) however, when I got home I kept studying the ring and wondering how it was made. So with the encouragement of my loving boyfriend who is a great photographer and artist in his own right I decided " I'm going to make jewelry!" One day on my way home from work, I stumbled upon an awesome store called Beadworld on 1384 Broadway in NYC and fell in love....... Oh my, crystals, beads, every color, every size, semi precious stones, swarovski crystals, silver wire; everything I could think of under the sun. I went to the sales lady and asked her what tools I needed to start making jewelry. $200 later( who knows whether I spent too much?) a new hobbie was born...I was going to make jewelry. I started out my early days in this hobbie learning how to do simple wire loops on head pins and made simple earrings out of czech glass crystals and I also made lariats. My passion with wire began when I bought a bunch of fun wire (plastic) from Michaels and started wire wrapping stones to make rings. LOVED the wire. So anyhow, here I am just a simple blogger posting some of my work as well as giving shout outs to some jewelry artists who have inspired me. It is never to late to find your passion. I am 38 years old and finally found something I love to do.

No comments: