Friday, February 18, 2011

Some things that are broken, simply cannot be fixed again...

I had bought this gorgeous amazonite stone from Singapore about a month and a half ago...It was EXPENSIVE and took four weeks to ship here to NYC. I was overjoyed when I finally received it in the mail and had big plans to wire wrap it in silver as a pendant...Here is what the stone looked like when I first bought it



Now I am a true believer in doing your best to maintain positive vibes, especially when you are in the middle of creating jewelry. But yesterday, I don't know, while I was taking out wire to form a cage for this gorgeous stone, I was feeling a little down and thinking about current disappointments. I am also worried about the current state of the education field here in NYC with layoffs looming over teacher's heads. For someone like me who is in grad school for education, this is not news you want to hear. I just did not have it in me to bring forth the good energy it takes to create..so as I was picking up the stone to create a piece, I accidentally dropped it and it fell on the floor and cracked into pieces....LORD! I cursed like a sailor and at that moment I knew, I should not have started the project with such negative vibes....I quickly grabbed gorilla glue, wire, and tape to try to put the pieces back together..




I went to work and lamented the whole day wondering what that stone would look like when I got home. Luckily the glue dried perfectly and the crack in the stone was not so obvious. I continued to work on the piece and decided to finish what I had started. This is the final piece, cracks and all but I still think it came out nice.



No matter how I try to cover that stone up with wire, it will always be flawed and broken now. Of course, in my mind I compare it to parts of myself which feel broken and unfixable at this time. I am just in a moment in which I need to look within and upwards to God to fill those cracks and areas that have become unglued and undone. I know I won't be able to sell this piece now but I am keeping it for myself as a reminder of a few things. Even flawed as it is, it is still beautiful and with God's grace, so am I.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It came out nice despite the break. It's interesting how intense stones can be. I find that when they have had enough of me they just disappear.

I search high and low for it and it will just not resurface. I'm sure things will work out fine for you.

Don Pepe said...

Good piece Cin..flawed n all ;)

Chennifer said...

It's still a beauiful piece.

But I agree, starting projects with negative energy rarely have a good outcome - can't tell you how many times I've worked on a painting or drawing like that and I almost always managed to destroy the piece. Your post reminded me that I should let such things wait until I am calm :)

Penelope said...

We are all flawed in some way but all beautiful creations. Thanks for a great post! Visiting from SITS!

Limon Partido said...

Loved the last line of this post ...and you are right... you are perfectly flawed...so am I, but we've got grace

jhitomi said...

Came to your lovely blog through Delicately Fierce's giveaway.

I just want to say...I thought when the stone broke you were going to say it was ruined and that was that. But the fact that you made the piece anyway, and it's beautiful...is so meaningful and says a lot about your patience and dedication to your craft. It's a symbol of a lot of fixable things in the world!

how to sell gold jewelry said...

This is the first time I comment on your site,
but I’ve been keeping up with your work for about a moth.

marge said...

You can fill the crack with gold(leaf, paint)
as the Chinese did to their pottery. I did it
to some of my Chinese style carved porcelain
cotyledon glaze, when I finished my MFA in
ceramics. Now I am a jewelry design and love
wire wrapping to sell, teach and give to family
members
Looks just fin to me!
Marge